Q: If this is a free service, how does Hanson Scrap Metal make money?
A: Hanson Scrap Metal receives payment when we properly recycle and dispose of your items. It is based on the weight of the materials recycled. That is how we make money and how our service is no fee to our customers.
Q: How far does Hanson Scrap Metal travel for pick-ups?
A: We currently serve La Crosse, Wisconsin and the surrounding areas (within a 25 mile radius). We currently do not travel to pick up from Minnesota. If you are unsure whether we will come pick up from your business or residence, please contact us.
Q: Do you uninstall appliances, or do we need to have that done before you pick up?
A: Hanson Scrap Metal does NOT uninstall appliances. This must be completed and your items must be set in a designated pick up spot before we arrive.
Q: Will you move remove items from inside my home or business?
A: No, we do not remove your appliances or other items from inside your home. Items will need to be uninstalled and removed from inside your home for us to haul them away.
Q: Do I need to be home when you pick up items?
A: You do not need to be home. You may place your items in a designated area, typically near the street or alley, and we will haul them away.
Q: How can we dispose of items you do not accept?
A: If you have items that we do not provide haul-away services for, please visit the La Crosse County Solid Waste website for information and resources.
What materials / items does Hanson Scrap Metal Service accept?
- Household: Door Hardware (lock sets, handles, deadbolts, hinges), Metal Bed Frames, Curtain Rods, Pots, Pans, Baking Sheets, Silverware (knives, spoons, forks, cooking utensils), Lights (wall/ceiling mounted, lamps), Electric Cookers, Crock Pots, Toasters, Telephones
- Major Appliances: Microwaves, Stoves (gas, electric, cast iron), Range Hoods, Washers & Dryers, Water Heaters, Garbage Disposals / Compactors, Dish Washers, Electric Baseboard Heaters, Furnaces, Air Conditioners (window, central), Refrigerators, Freezers, or anything containing a coolant (i.e. Freon) will cost $15 per item
- Electronics: Radios / Stereos (shelf, cabinet, component), VCRs, CD / DVD / Blu-ray Players, Cell Phones, Game Systems
- Garage/Shed: Hardware (nuts, bolts, screws, nails, washers, hinges, etc.), Tools, Machinery, Lawnmowers, Riding Mowers, Weed Wipes, Garage Doors & Hardware, Metal Cabinets, Carts, Shelving, Ramps, Dolly’s, Metal Fans, Squirrel Cages, Heaters, Welders, etc.
- Vehicles: Bicycles, ATV’s, Motorcycles, Off-road vehicles, Car/Truck Parts, Car Rims (No Tires), Car Batteries, Radiators
- Electrical Cabling: Household Wiring (copper/aluminum, romex, shielded, metal clad, etc.), Extension Cords, Christmas Lights, Computer Related Cords and Cables, Telephone Cords, Coaxial / Satellite / TV Cable, Audio Video Cables
- Computers: Desktops, Laptops, Servers, Network Routers, Switches, Server Racks, Power Supplies, Battery Backups (UPS), Hard Drives, Accessory Boards, Flat Screen Monitors
- Old “Tube / Box” Monitors ($15 per item)
- Remodeling: Household Wiring (copper/aluminum, romex, shielded, metal clad, etc.), Outlets, Light Switches, Circuit Breakers / Boxes, Pipes (water, gas, cast iron), Faucets, Sinks (stainless steel, cast iron), Cast Iron Tubs, Radiators, Shower Doors / Rods, Metal Siding, Soffit, Fascia, Skirting, Metal Roofing, Metal Doors & Screen Doors, Aluminum Window Frames, Hot Water Heaters
- Miscellaneous: Metal Pallet Racking, Aluminum Cans, Electric Motors, Chain Link Fence, Trampoline Frames, Metal Sheds, Metal Desks, Steel, Sheet Iron, Metal Patio Furniture
- Treadmills/ Exercise Equipment
What materials / items does Hanson Scrap Metal Service NOT accept?
- TVs, Wood, Plastic, Asphalt, Tires, Concrete / Cement, Chemicals, Asbestos Flooring / Shingles
“Hanson’s Scrap Metal Service has been an integral asset to Coulee Christian School here in West Salem for two years now. I met Brian at a neighboring school district who was auctioning their student desk which we desperately needed, he was actually biding against us. We ended up winning portions of that same lot of desk and I was going to be short on the number of desk that we desperately needed in our classrooms. After a short conversation with Brian he unhesitatingly worked with me so we could obtain the desk we needed to fill our classrooms. Brain realizing we were a small non-profit school, stated that we could call on him for any assist we may need in the future and of note, he made a very generous donation to our school that week. Since then, Brain through his wide networking connection with other organizations has helped us find other desk, whiteboards and many other critical needed items for our educators and support staff. His selfless and professionalism is a pivotal cornerstone to his personal work ethic, and a worthy business that can be depended on in our community. Brian goes beyond his business and has been willing to support us in ways not measured by the weight of what he hauls away for us.” – Brad Chandler, Facilities Manager, Coulee Christian School